Any time a crime is committed on federal property or is a violation of federal law, it will be charged as a federal crime. If you are facing any type of federal charges, it is critical that you retain the services of a criminal defense lawyer who has the experience and the capability to handle these types of cases. A federal criminal defense lawyer should have a comprehensive understanding of federal laws, regulations and court procedures. He or she must also be licensed to practice in federal court.
Here are some examples of offenses that are commonly charged as federal crimes:
- Possession of child pornography: This is a serious crime both at the state and the federal level. Any person found to be possessing, selling, making or distributing any material depicting a child under 18 years of age in a sexual manner may face federal child pornography charges.
- Fraud crimes: Under federal law, fraud is defined as "deliberate deception for unlawful gain." There is a wide range of fraud crimes that violate federal law. Examples include corporate fraud, mortgage fraud, social security fraud, insurance fraud, mail fraud, insurance fraud, investment fraud, money laundering and Internet fraud.
- Drug offenses: Illegal possession, sale, distribution, manufacturing or trafficking of illegal drugs or even prescription drugs can be charged as federal crimes. Even cultivating or dispensing medical marijuana, which is legal in California, can be charged as a federal crime. This is because marijuana is still a controlled substance under federal law – medical or otherwise.
- Public corruption: This involves a breach of public trust or abuse of position by local, state or federal officials.
- White collar crimes: These are crimes committed by people who are in so-called respectable positions such as bankers, investment professionals and public officials. Examples of federal white collar crimes include fraud, money laundering, bribery, insider trading, consumer fraud, corporate fraud and tax evasion.
If you or a loved one has been charged with a federal crime, you need the help and guidance of a seasoned lawyer such as Daniel E. Kann. We will represent you starting from the investigation phase and ensure that your rights are protected right through the process. Please contact our offices to schedule your free and comprehensive consultation. We are here to help you.