A number of local, state and federal enforcement efforts target gang activity and increase the penalty for gang-related crimes.
- Los Angeles County District Attorney's Hardcore Gang Division, including more than 50 attorneys.
- The Street Terrorism Enforcement Prevention Act (STEP), permits enhanced penalties and stiffer sentences for gang members.
- The Community Law Enforcement and Recovery program (C.L.E.A.R.), is a multi-agency law enforcement unit targeting gang activity within divisions of the Los Angeles Police Department, including:
- Devonshire Division
- Foothill Division
- Newton Division
- Northeast Division
- Pacific Division
- Century Station
- The District Attorney's Heightened Enforcement and Targeting (H.E.A.T.) also targets gang activity, particularly juvenile gangs, including:
- East Los Angeles
- Long Beach
Source: Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office
More than 1,400 street gangs exist in Los Angeles County and authorities continue to put heavy emphasis on arresting and prosecuting alleged gang members. The L.A. County sheriff's department reports about half of all homicides involve street gangs, averaging more than 250 deaths per year.
In particular, the Street Terrorism Enforcement Prevention Act (STEP) -- patterned after the Racketeer Influences and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) used to prosecute organized crime – increases the penalty for certain gang crimes, forces convicted gang members to register with authorities, and permits the seizure of assets associated with gang activity.
Additionally, a number of special units have been established by law enforcement and the district attorney's office to specifically target gang activity. These units rely on arrests and results for state and federal funding and instances of overzealous or unethical arrests and prosecutions continue to surface.
Common types of gang crimes include:
- Attempted Homicide
- Felonious Assault
- Attack on a Police Officer
- Shooting into an Inhabited Dwelling
- Drive by Shooting
- Drug Dealing
- Drug Possession
- Possession with Intent
- Witness Intimidation
- Auto Theft
- Breaking & Entering
- Armed Robbery
Hiring an aggressive criminal defense lawyer experienced in defending clients against alleged gang activity can be critical to the outcome of your case. We will zealously defend you against such charges; by fighting to have the charges disassociated with gang activity, challenging evidence in court, seeking an acceptable plea agreement with prosecutors, or building your case for trial.
The Law Offices of Daniel E. Kann offers aggressive representation to juveniles and adults facing criminal charges in connection with gang activity. A criminal record as a gang member can have a lasting impact on your life. If you, or a teenager in your family, are facing gang-related charges, contact The Law Offices of Daniel E. Kann for a free and confidential consultation to discuss your rights.