Everyday, thousands of large trucks drive on Southern California roads. It's impossible to get on a highway anywhere in Southern California without seeing large big rig trucks carrying all types of cargo, trying to get to their final destination. When one of these large trucks is involved in a vehicle accident, it can be especially bad. The size of a big commercial truck can leave smaller cars totaled and drivers and passengers seriously hurt.
If you are injured in a crash involving a semi-truck, there are certain steps you will want to take right away.
- Contact the Police--Immediately after a big rig accident, you will want to contact the police. Officers and emergency personnel can assist injured drivers and passengers at the crash site. Officers can also make an official accident report, describing the incident. This report is important as it can be helpful in supporting a personal injury claim to get compensation if you have been injured in the accident.
- Get Medical Attention--You will also want to get medical attention as soon as possible after your accident. A big rig crash can result in serious injuries, and it is important to see a doctor right away. Even if your injuries seem minor, it is still good to see a doctor, as an injury may not be obvious initially. Going to the doctor can also be helpful as the doctor can identify and document the injuries you sustained in the accident. This can be useful in supporting your personal injury claim later on.
- Collect Information of the Driver and Trucking Company--After the accident, it is very important to get the contact information of those involved. You will want to get the name and contact information of the truck driver. You will also want to get the name and information of the trucking company the driver is employed by as well as the trucking company's insurer. When this type of accident occurs, it is likely the trucking company's insurance will cover the cost of any injuries caused by the accident, so this information is crucial to have.
- Document the accident site--If you can do so without putting yourself at risk of further injuries, take pictures of the scene of the accident. You can use your phone to get images or videos of the cars involved and what they looked like after the crash. It can also be helpful to take pictures of your injuries to document any harm you suffered as a result of the crash.
- Talk to an experienced truck accident attorney--As soon as you can, you will want to get in touch with a skilled Southern California truck accident attorney. When you are injured in an accident caused by another driver, you can bring a personal injury claim to get compensation for your injuries. A personal injury attorney with experience handling truck accidents can help you with your claim. They can assist in collecting information, investigating to prove fault, and bringing the claim against the right person or party.
If you are the victim of a trucking accident, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, loss of future income, pain and suffering, and more.
If you or someone you care about is injured by a crash caused by a large semi-truck, it is important to know what to do. The attorneys at the Kann California Law Group have years of experience handling all kinds of vehicle accident claims, and know how to handle cases that involve bringing a claim against a trucking company. We can discuss your situation during a free case consultation--contact us online or give us a call at 888-744-7730 or use our online contact form today!