It's that time of the year again. Yes the holidays, but more specifically, the time where it seems like as soon as the sun goes down the DUI checkpoints go up throughout all of Santa Clarita, California. The reason for these checkpoints is pretty obvious—to easily find drivers that may be under the influence of drugs and alcohol and get them off the road. And the reason you see more checkpoints during the upcoming weeks than any other time of year is simple—the police know when the parties happen. Also referred to as mobile checkpoints or roadblocks, Santa Clarita DUI checkpoints are legal during the holidays and every other time of the year. Time is of the essence when it comes to defending yourself from a Santa Clarita DUI charge so be sure to get in touch with the Kann California Defense Group if you have been charged with a DUI this holiday season.
Here's what you can expect when you roll up to a DUI checkpoint:
- The road will be sectioned off and you will need to slow down and follow the signs and instructions while waiting to meet with the officers running the checkpoint
- You will be asked for your license and registration (so go ahead and get it ready while you are waiting if you can)
- The officer will try to engage you in a quick conversation to see if you show any of the typical signs of intoxication. Usually this conversation will be questions relating to what you were doing and where you are going. Be sure to stay calm and answer the questions that are asked with quick and simple responses
- The officer will also observe you to see if you show signs of intoxication, such as red watery eyes, slurred speech, the oder of alcoholic beverages
- If the officer suspects or sees anything that would indicate you are over the legal limit, he or she will then proceed to conduct a typical roadside DUI check including a breath test and field sobriety tests
Just as with any time time you encounter the police, be sure to remain calm and don't give too much information. And while Santa Clarita DUI checkpoints are legal on a general level, there are strict guidelines that police must follow in order to make any arrests legal. Translation? There are defenses to any holiday DUI arrests that come about as the result of a sobriety checkpoint.
At the Kann California Defense Group, we hope you have a wonderful holiday season without any issues with the police. But if that isn't the case—be sure to give us a call for a free consultation. Trust us, getting a DUI conviction is not how you want to start the new year. There are defenses that can serve to eliminate or reduce the serious charges against you. We look forward to hearing from you and resolving your Santa Clarita DUI case! (888)744-7730
- California DUI Law
- California Drug Paraphernalia- What You Need To Know