Losing a loved one due to the intentional or careless acts of another person is absolutely devastating. In an instant, your whole life can be turned upside down. When a family loses a loved one, it has a huge impact on their lives--not only emotionally, but also economically. When this happens, a family can receive financial compensation for their loss by bringing a Ventura or Los Angeles wrongful death claim against the person or party responsible for the loss of their loved one.
If you have lost a loved one in an accident, here are the answers to a few common questions you may have about bringing a wrongful death claim:
- What Types of Accidents Can Result in a Wrongful Death Claim? You can bring a wrongful death claim for all types of accidents--a wrongful death claim can be filed if you lost your loved one in many different types of accidents when that accident is caused by another person or party. This includes car or vehicle crashes, DUI accidents, pedestrian accidents, hit and run accidents, work accidents, premise accidents, and more.
- Who Can Bring a California Wrongful Death Claim? A wrongful death claim can be brought by surviving family members. This generally means a surviving spouse, partner, or child. If there is not a spouse or children, parents and siblings can also bring a claim.
- What Damages are Available in a Wrongful Death Claim? When you bring a wrongful death claim, you can get damages. This is a legal term which means you can get financial compensation for your losses. In California, you can get compensation for damages such as medical costs, funeral or burial expenses, lost wages and earning capacity, and other available damages.
- How Long do I have to Bring a Wrongful Death Claim? A wrongful death claim must be filed within a certain amount of time. If the claim is not filed by this deadline, you can lose the chance to bring the claim. Generally, the claim must be filed within two years of the death of your loved one.
- How do I Bring a Wrongful Death Claim? A wrongful death claim is brought by bringing a claim against the person or party responsible for the death of your loved one. The claim must be prepared and filed. This can be complicated, so it is best to contact a skilled Los Angeles wrongful death attorney who can take care of the claim for you and work to maximize your recovery.
Talk to an Experienced Los Angeles or Ventura Wrongful Death Attorney
If you have lost a loved one in an accident, it is important to speak to an experienced wrongful death attorney. Dealing with the loss of a loved one can be overwhelming, but with a knowledgeable attorney by your side you won't have to feel overwhelmed by bringing a wrongful death claim. No one should have to lose a loved one due to the fault of another, and the attorneys at the Kann California Law Group can help you get the compensation you deserve for your devastating loss. We offer a free case consultation to family members who have lost a loved one--we can go over your situation and answer any other questions you may have about wrongful death claims. Contact us here on our contact form or call 888-744-7730 to schedule your consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys today.