The holidays are here! And while it may never be a white Christmas in Ventura, walk by any store and you will be endlessly reminded of the time of year. Whether out of financial desperation or other motives, the temptation to steal is always higher during the holiday season. In Ventura, theft crimes are strictly punished and not something you should try to handle on your own or just accept the conviction. At the Kann California Defense Group, we know that being charged with a theft crime is an intimidating charge that may seem like a done deal. Let our years of experience helping individuals in your very situation help fight the Ventura theft charges against you.
Theft can take many forms. Some of the more common theft crimes include:
- Petty Theft: In Ventura (and all of California) theft of items that add up to less than $950 is considered a petty theft. For instance, the majority of shoplifting cases usually fall into the petty theft category. However, there really isn't anything petty about the punishments that accompany a conviction!
- Grand Theft: If the property stolen amounts to over $950 or falls into a list of exceptions (i.e. firearms regardless of the amount) then it is considered a grand theft and carries much more significant punishments.
- Grand Theft Auto: Interestingly enough, this type of theft is actually covered by two different codes in California—a criminal code and a vehicle code. California Penal Code Section 487 spells out the basic requirements for this serious offense, requiring a showing that the defendant took or drove a vehicle that did not belong to them with the intention to permanently take it from its rightful owner. Need more information? Give Kann California Defense Group a call and we will be happy to explain it to you.
- Theft from a Vehicle: Stealing items out of a vehicle (but not the vehicle itself) it classified as a theft from a vehicle. This is a form of burglary.
- Theft from Elderly or Dependent Adult: Stealing from the elderly is a form of elder abuse that courts take very seriously. Whether a small amount or a major theft, this is a charge you are going to want to fight to have dismissed or reduced. Considered a type of financial abuse, this can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the amount of theft.
As you can see from the very abbreviated list of Ventura theft crimes above- theft is a very serious charge that can take many forms. Part of the reason there is an increase in holiday theft related arrests in Ventura is because the police, storeowners, and individuals are on heightened alert during this hectic time. If you have been charged with any type of theft, give the lawyers at the Kann California Defense Group a call today to discuss your case further. There are defenses available to you and your first consultation with us is always on the house. We look forward to hearing from you! Call us at (888)744-7730 or send us a message through our online contact form.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment